Hi, my name is Kate and I am a Jamie Oliver fan.
This Jamie Oliver recipe is very easy to make. The key is to use as good quality pesto as you can get from your local store and to not overcook the beans (why the hell would you?)
9 oz dried farfalle
4 oz french beans
1 small red potato
1 oz Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp pesto
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cook your farfalle in boiling salted water according to packet instructions. Give it an occasional stir to make sure none of the pasta is sticking together. Meanwhile…
- Top the green beans and put to one side. Scrub the potato then slice it as thinly as possible.
- About 5 minutes before the pasta is done, add the beans and potato slices to the pot. Simmer until the pasta is cooked.
- When your pasta is cooked and the beans and potatoes are tender, scoop out a cupful of the water to keep, then drain everything in a colander.
- Return the pasta and veg to the pan. Add the pesto and stir everything together. If the sauce is a bit thick, add a little splash of your reserved cooking water to thin it out slightly.
- Stir in half the Parmesan. Taste and season with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Drizzle over some extra virgin olive oil then cover with a lid to keep warm.
I know, I need better photos. ♥
This recipe is inspired by Jamie Oliver‘s Rigatoni Arrabiata. Since I did not have some of the ingredients needed for his recipe like the cooked red peppers, I substituted it with sun dried tomatoes and tweaked the ingredients a little bit.
2 cloves garlic
1 red onion
2 fresh red chilis
5 oz sun dried tomatoes (in a jar)
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 small bunch fresh basil (I did not have this)
7 oz tortiglioni
4 tbsp capers (I love capers!)
1 tsp dried oregano
4 oz feta cheese
Black pepper (freshly ground)
- Peel and finely slice the garlic and onion. Finely slice the chili – if you want a kick leave the seeds in, for a more subtle flavor deseed.
- Drain and chop the sun dried tomatoes and open the can of tomatoes. Pick the basil leaves and finely chop the stalks.
- Cook your tortiglioni in boiling salted water according to packet instructions. Give it an occasional stir to make sure none of the pasta is sticking together. Meanwhile…
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat and add a splash of olive oil.
- Add the garlic, red onion, chilis, capers, basil stalks and oregano, and fry until softened and turning golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and sun dried tomatoes and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, season lightly with salt and pepper and cover with a lid.
- When your pasta is ready scoop out a cupful of the water for later, then drain the pasta in the colander.
- Tip the drained pasta into the pan of sauce and toss together. If the sauce is a bit thick, add a little of your reserved cooking water to thin it out slightly.
- Taste and season with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Stir through most of the basil. Cover with a lid to keep warm.
- Divide the pasta between the two plates, crumble the feta cheese, and the remaining basil leaves over the top, and tuck in!
Just imagine there are basil leaves on top of it. ♥