There are so many versions of Macaroni and Cheese nowadays. Sometimes with vegetables, sometimes with sausages. My husband told me that his mum made it with corn. So basically, you can put anything you like in your Mac and Cheese. In fact, in one week I made two versions of this dish. One with egg and one without it. Why? Because my husband is trying to avoid egg as much as possible and I want my Mac and Cheese creamier, so there you go! Two versions of Mac and Cheese.
Patience, you need patience
3 cups uncooked macaroni
7 tbsp butter
3 tbsp AP flour
1 tbsp dry mustard powder*
½ tsp paprika
½ cup chopped onions
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
3 cups whole milk
1 egg (optional), beaten
3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup bread crumbs
* The recipe calls for 1 tbsp of dry mustard, which works out to 3 tbsp of prepared mustard. However, I only used 1 tbsp of prepared mustard and it worked out fine.
- Cook the macaroni according to packet instructions. Once cooked, run cold water to stop it from cooking. We want the pasta to be able to hold the cheese.
- Melt 3 tbsp butter in your pan and add the flour. Whisk in low heat until the colour becomes blonde.
- Add the dry mustard powder or prepared mustard sauce, paprika, onions, bay leaf, salt and milk.
- Whisk until
you get impatientit becomes thick. Let me give you a heads up ― it won’t get thick until it reaches the boiling point, so you have to be patient. And no, I know what you’re thinking, you cannot just turn the heat up no matter how tempted you are.
- Once it is thick, remove the bay leaf and turn off the stove.
- Tempering the egg. After you have beaten the egg, add a tablespoon of your bechamel sauce and whisk it.
- Add the tempered egg to the pot whilst whisking the bechamel sauce fast. I know you only have two hands but you better do this right or your egg will get cooked. Now, you don’t want that, do you?
- Add the cheese. Don’t stop whisking baby! You don’t stop whisking until the sauce becomes smooth. You want to eat a good Mac and Cheese, so be patient.
- Add the macaroni and stir. Mmm… we’re almost done!
- Transfer it to your casserole dish and turn on your oven to 350°F.
- Melt the remaining butter and add the bread crumbs. Mix it and put on top of your Mac and Cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden.
- Let it cool for a few minutes and serve!
Fucking worth it, especially with Sriracha sauce! ♥